It is only natural that the memory starts being affected as a person ages. Age-related memory loss is a common concern and sometimes it progresses to a point where a senior loses his/her entire memory. This is why it is crucial that the necessary steps be taken to prevent age-related memory loss. Here are some tips on keeping your mind active and engaged:
- Few people know that regular exercise can contribute greatly to prevention of memory loss. The flow of brain to the blood remains constant and the alertness improves when a person exercises on a daily basis. So, seniors should be encouraged to take walks every day or indulge in other activities they enjoy.
- Lack of proper sleep can cause chemical imbalance in the brain, which leads to memory problems. This is why seniors should follow a sleeping schedule. Going to sleep and waking up at the same time every day is important. Also, getting at least 7 hours of sleep every night is crucial.
- Following the Mediterranean diet is a good idea. The ingredients used in this cuisine are brain boosters and can stimulate your mind, which means the risk of memory loss is almost negated.
- Engaging in mentally stimulating activities is a must. This could be reading, listening to music, or playing chess. There are online tools which seniors can use to keep their minds sharp and concentrate better.
- Last, but not the least, an active social can contribute a great deal towards preventing age-related memory loss. Often, seniors who feel isolated and lonely are at a greater risk of losing their memory in old age.
These are a few tips seniors can use to keep their minds sharp and alert, which is the key to preserving their memory and mental health.